This guide will walk you through how to upgrade PayPal API's for your event showcase. Upgrading your PayPal API allows your event to collect vendor credit card or PayPal payment info at checkout, and then charge the vendor upon approval of their submission.
- *Note*: You must have a premier or business account with PayPal to enable this feature.
- *Note*: Selecting this and Pay by Check gives vendors the option to choose between the two at vendor checkout. Check payments are still set from Organizer created Manual Submissions.
To begin, go to your Edit Showcase page for the event which you wish to upgrade the PayPal API. Select Payment Settings from your Event Wizard Menu on the left.
- Select the 'Enable Collecting Payment Info at Vendor Checkout' button.
- A confirmation prompt will pop up. Select 'Yes, enable' if you wish to continue.
- Open a new tab in your browser and proceed to https://developer.paypal.com/developer/applications/
- Select 'login to dashboard' on PayPal.
- This will take you to the 'My Apps & Credentials' page on PayPal. Scroll down until you see 'REST API apps.'
- Select the blue 'Create App' button.
- You will now be taken to the application details. In the 'App Name' box enter your company or event name. Then select the blue 'Create App' button at the bottom.
Make sure that your app has the following Items enabled.
- PayPal payments
- Direct credit cards
- Future Payments
After that the following screen will take you to your Client ID Key and Secret Key.
- First, make sure that you selected 'Live' (NOT THE SANDBOX which it defaults to) in the top right corner. Please verify, you selected "Live" before moving forward. See image below.
NOTE: If you want to receive international payments via guest checkout you may have to enable that in your merchant account as well.
- Next copy the entire Client ID key and go back to your Event Hub tab in your browser. Paste this key in the Event Hub payment settings where it says 'PayPal API Client ID.'
- Go back to your PayPal tab and then select 'Show' under 'Secret Key.'
- Copy your secret key and go back to your Event Hub tab. Paste the secret key where it says 'PayPal API secret key' on your Event Hub page.
- Be sure to select the correct currency from the Accept Payments In dropdown. You will have the choice of either USD - US Dollar, or CAD - Canada Dollar.
- Select the 'Next' button to save.
Congratulations, you have upgraded your PayPal API! Vendors can now submit payment at checkout. We recommend doing a $1 test charge using a promo code to ensure you have applied all of the correct API keys. Don't forget to approve vendor submissions, at which point their payment info will be charged.
NOTE: PayPal requires that all payments must be processed within 30 days of the order placement. So if you use PayPal you will need to be sure you approve your orders within 30 days of them being placed.